CVARC is planning a special amateur radio event for the afternoon of Sunday, April 11th.
While the pandemic still makes it impossible for us to get together in person, we hope to keep the spirit of camaraderie and togetherness alive among hams in the Conejo Valley with the CVARC Spring Fling.
The idea of the CVARC Spring Fling is to hold a series of events connecting hams over the air and on Zoom.
Spring Fling Rover Roundup Contest
- The contest runs from noon to 3 p.m. and is being coordinated by Keith Elliott-W6KME.
- 2-meters, FM simplex phone only. Recommended frequencies: 146.550 and 146.580 etc in +30KHz intervals (be careful to not interfere with non-contest traffic!)
- One QSO per call, per 6-digit Maidenhead grid. Only one QSO per call is allowed, unless either station has changed grid squares. Stations may log as many contacts with each other as possible as long as at least one station is operating from a new grid square.
- Exchange: Call + First Name + LAST two digits of six-digit Maidenhead Grid + “Location #” (Location 1, Location 2, etc., with the number being the number of locations the station has operated from.)
- Scoring: 1 point per QSO, times multipliers
- Each grid square a station operates TO or FROM acts as a multiplier of the total score.
- Scores must be submitted to Keith-W6KME during the post-contest Zoom meeting or by other means during the Zoom meeting. Scores may be submitted and recorded later but won’t be eligible for the prize.
- A detailed, interactive Maidenhead grid map is available here.
- Prizes for the top three scores!
Spring Fling Zoom
Brad Ormsby-W6VO) will open a Zoom session at 11:00 AM and the Zoom will remain open until one hour past the end of the Rover Roundup (4 p.m.). Members are encouraged to drop-in anytime during the event. The winner of the Roundup will be announced in the Zoom following the contest.
Here’s the link to the Spring Fling Zoom:
Meeting ID: 945 9707 8960
Spring Fling SOTA Event
Paul Van Zuyle-K6PVZ will coordinate at SOTA event in conjunction with the CVARC Spring Fling. SOTA or Summits on the Air is when club members climb local hills with their portable radio gear and activate designated SOTA peaks. Come and enjoy summit-to-summit contacts and the benefit of getting high (altitude!) Paul-K6PVZ will coordinate the CVARC SOTA activators. Contact him at K6PVZ@cvarc.org.