You have an opportunity to join fellow CVARC members on a DX-Pedition to Anacapa Island on Sunday, September 17th. Part of the fun will be a dual activation of the site with Parks on the Air (POTA) and Islands on the Air (IOTA.) We’ll be operating from the Visitors Center, about 1/2 mile from the boat landing near Arch Rock on the east end of the island.
To join the expedition, please read the following information closely. You must purchase a seat on the boat to the island to be part of the fun!
Arch Rock Radio-Active DX-Pedition
Date: September 17, 2023, 0930-1700
Venue: Anacapa Island
Transportation: Via Island Packers, Oxnard
Cost Per Person: $58 if over 55, Otherwise $63, to be borne by participants
Allowable Total Weight Limit per Person, 60 pounds, no one item may exceed 45 pounds.
All equipment and supplies must be passenger-carried on and off the boat and up and down 157 stairs.
Operating Site: Anacapa Island Visitors Center (1/2 mile from landing) See island map above.
Operating Site Elevation: 250 ft.
Operating Site Amenities: Picnic tables and pit toilet. All on-island water, food and shade to be brought with us.
Eligible for Parks on the Air: Yes
Eligible for Islands on the Air: Yes
Antenna: One ham stick dipole on a 10-foot mast, guyed to water bottles
The radio station will be a solar/battery powered 100-watt multi-mode transceiver. We will operate on 20M and each participant will have an operating slot. You need not be licensed to operate as there will be at least one control operator.
How to sign up:
1. Book a seat each way with Island Packers: ISLANDPACKERS.COM
2. Contact Bill Willcox at email@example.com to coordinate logistics.
|OXNARD to East End Landing AI 09/17/2023 Sun 9:30 AM|
|EAST END LANDING AI to Oxnard 09/17/2023 Sun 3:30 PM|
These guidelines apply to all passengers visiting the National Park. Thank you for taking the time to read them carefully.
- Arrive 45 minutes prior to departure.
- Passengers will carry all items onto the boat. No item over 45 lbs., including ice chests.
- Have an emergency contact phone number ready when you check-in.
- Parking is limited. Carpooling is strongly encouraged especially on weekends or during peak season as space is limited.
- If using a GPS device to navigate to our office in Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard, enter “3550 Harbor Blvd, Oxnard” as your destination.
- A credit card is required to check-in.
PREPARING FOR YOUR TRIP: NO SINGLE ITEM MAY EXCEED 45LBS
- Food service is available on the boat and is cash only.
- Wear low heel rubber soled shoes with good tread (no high heels). Your safety is our goal.
- Dress casually and in layers of clothing for cold and/or warm weather. Sunscreen is suggested.
- Bring a warm jacket/coat and hat. A lightweight raincoat is suggested for sea spray on the water.
- Cameras and binoculars are great to bring along.
- Check with your doctor for appropriate sea sickness medication if you feel it necessary.
- You may bring lunch, snacks and non-alcoholic beverages for your time aboard.
- You should bring lunch, snacks and beverages for your time ashore.
- Pack food in closed containers or day packs for protection from animals and birds while on the island.
- Island Packers has beer & wine for purchase. No outside alcohol is permitted.
- Island Packers has a variety of hot & cold (non-alcohol) beverages for sale.
- BIO SECURITY is important. Please view https://youtu.be/d8SLYWPOF2U for important information before packing for your trip!
Please see our website for full cancellation policies: http://islandpackers.com/policies/
- For reservations of 1-19 passengers must cancel or reduce your passenger count at least 72 hours prior to your departure time to receive a refund.
- Cancellations must be made by calling Island Packers at 805-642-1393.
WEATHER CANCELLATION POLICY:
In case of unfavorable weather or sea conditions, Island Packers will cancel at 5:30 AM on the day of your trip. On the morning of your departure, after 5:30 AM, please call 805-642-1393, select option (4) and listen to the recorded message for the status of your trip. Island Packers will not call you if weather prevents us from going.
SAFETY ABOARD THE VESSEL:
Weather in the Santa Barbara Channel is unpredictable and can be rough. The vessel you will be going on is Coast Guard inspected and is operated by an experienced captain and crew. If you come properly prepared you should have an enjoyable trip and one you will long remember. Please dress warm and wisely. Even if you are experienced on boats, please hold onto hand rails when moving about or standing, and watch how and where you step.
Please verify your harbor of departure: