CVARC has several special amateur radio initiatives planned for Winter Field Day 2021, to be held January 30 and 31. The COVID-19 crisis makes it impossible for us to gather in large groups as we have in the past, but we are attempting to recapture some of the camaraderie and fellowship among hams in other ways by making the following options available for those who choose to participate. Nothing here is compulsory. The idea is to have some fun. Feel free to participate in whatever interests you.
- CVARC Winter Field Day Contest: (Keith Elliot-W6KME) The Winter Field Day Association event is a 24-hour contest starting at 11:00 Saturday January 30, but CVARC is having our own “contest-within-a-contest” during Winter Field Day 2021. We’ll have a short sprint contest on Saturday from 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. local time.
- Bands-2M, 6M, and 10M, with 10M restricted to 28.300 to 28.500, the Technician allocation, any phone mode, simplex only. We’ll post recommended frequencies before the day of the contest.
- Points-1 point per QSO, multiplied by the band. A 2M QSO is worth 2 points, 6M worth 6, and 10M is worth 10. One QSO per person per band, so you can talk to the same person on all three bands for 18 points.
- The exchange for our CVARC Winter Field Day Contest is the same as the exchange that the Winter Field Day Association has established; Your “class” and “category” and your ARRL/RAC section. See the Winter Field Day Association Rules page for more details: https://a2a53e2b-2285-4083-9cff-c99fe5ba1658.filesusr.com/ugd/1c7085_2445ed4b22f74e048fe9bd41c8dba103.pdf
- Bonus points-There is a 100 point bonus for loaning a 10M or 6M radio to someone who does not have one, in a COVID-safe manner of course. Either a loan of the equipment, or set up in a safe space for the operator to visit, qualifies for the bonus. There is also a 100 point bonus for anyone taking advantage of the loan.
- At 2:00 P.M. we’ll gather in a Zoom meeting to hand in scores and talk about what we did, just like we did at the picnic last fall.
- Zoom Initiative: (Brad Ormsby-W6VO) Brad will open a Zoom session at 10:00 AM, Saturday, January 30 that will remain open for the duration of Winter Field Day, until noon Sunday January 31. Members are free to drop-in anytime during the event, but three scheduled meetings will be held in the room at:
- 10:00 A.M. Saturday (1/30) one hour before the start of Winter Field Day
- 2:00 P.M. Saturday (1/30) to hold a debrief on the contest
- 11:00 A.M. Sunday (1/31) at the close of Winter Field Day to discuss results
- Link to the 24- hour Zoom Initiative:
Meeting ID: 945 9707 8960
- SOTA Initiative: (Paul Van Zuyle-K6PVZ) In conjunction with Winter Field Day and the 10-meter club event, there will also be a SOTA event where club members climb local hills with their portable radio gear. You can make contact with all the local SOTA operators, and get special recognition! Come up yourself and enjoy summit-to-summit contacts and the benefits of altitude to make more contacts from 11 A.M.-2 P.M. Saturday. Here’s a list of SOTA spots around the Conejo Valley. Paul will coordinate CVARC’s SOTA activators. Contact him at K6PVZ@cvarc.org